Some say the biggest challenge is getting started while others say the biggest challenge is finishing what you start. I say, the hardest part is making the decision to get started and following through in the first place! Once the decision is truly made, getting started becomes easy. A powerful decision will also have the task completed before you even start - let me explain...
A little over a year ago I started The Legacy Podcast with the goal of documenting my journey as an aspiring entrepreneur, a wife, and a woman with big dreams to leave a lasting impact in my family and ultimately on the world. A year before that I started playing around with the idea of starting my own podcast. That means it took an entire year of "thinking about it" before I finally made a real decision to get started. That's a year of missing out on collaboration opportunities, content, the chance to make an impact ect. The ability to make decisions can save you a lot of time, energy, and money in the long run which is why it is so important. However, one of the reasons people find it so hard to make decisions is the fear of making the wrong one - sound familiar?
If we choose to do nothing at all, there is no chance of failure. That is why it is much easier to "think about it" instead of do it. Once we take action we are at risk of making mistakes, being judged, and failing. However, if you make a powerful decision that no matter what gets thrown in your direction you are going to see this project, event, business ect. through - there is no way you can lose. The universe will conspire in your favour and you can suddenly see things you were able to see before. You will notice a commercial that is offering the exact course you need to gain insight on your task, someone in the industry will reach out to you or you will be invited to an event by a friend that is on the exact topic you were pursuing. It all seems like a coincidence but it isn't. As soon as you decided to go all in - you already won.
The only problem here is that often times, we say with our words what we want or what we are going to do but then our actions say something much different. You can't just decide with your words that you are going to win - you must decide with your actions. What is the one thing (or multiple things) you will do each and every day to bring you closer to your goals? For me, it was reading and connecting with new people each day to learn more about myself, about entrepreneurship, and about this life that I could use as content for my podcast and as tools to build towards my dreams. All of a sudden, I looked up a year later and I had completed 52 episodes, had listeners in over 17 countries, and I had established a small community of amazing individuals who were on a similar journey as I was to create wealth in every area of their lives and leave a lasting legacy.
I want to leave you with a recipe that you can use for you goals around money, health and wellness, relationships, career, and whatever else you can think of:
1) Get crystal clear on what your goals are. You should be able to write it out on paper and explain it to someone else in less than 30 seconds. It should be specific, have a deadline, and a clear path of action.
Here is an example: By May 1st of next year, I will have recorded and released 52 episodes of my podcast. I will release one new episode every single week in order to make this happen
2) Understand the ultimate reason why you want to take on this journey in the first place so that when things get rough, you will not get thrown off track. It has to be deeper than just wanting likes or money because there are TONS of ways to get those things.
Example: I will complete this goal so that my future children will have a blueprint to follow and they will not have to make the same mistakes that I made. It is part of my legacy.
3) Find an accountability partner or group. Surround yourself with people you can share your dreams with that will not judge you but instead, look for ways to support you. It's much easier to let yourself down then it is to let others down. That means if you have made a promise to someone outside of yourself, you are far more likely to stick to it.
4) DECIDE that no matter what, every single day you will work towards that goal even if it is a small action and you will never quit until the task is complete. For me, it was 30 minutes of personal development every single day so that each week I would have fresh content for my podcast that I was excited to share. If you have a fitness goal, maybe its 15 minutes of physical activity a day. If you want to write a book, maybe its 1 paragraph a day until it is complete. Whatever it is, just make sure it is something you can commit to completing every single day whether you "feel like it" or not.
5) TAKE ACTION! You can think about it as much as you want but until you get out there and do it, nothing will change or get done.
So decide that today is the day you are pushing the reset button and get to work! Make sure not to leave out any ingredients to this recipe and you can't lose!
If you enjoy this kind of content, then episode #1 of The Legacy Podcast is definitely for you! You can find it on Youtube, www.buildingalegacy.ca, or anywhere that hosts podcasts. Until next time - Let's build a legacy!